Our company mission statement is;
"The preservation of species and the environment through research, education and awareness".
Discover today – Protect for Tomorrow.
- Share our unique sea safari – unforgettable from the moment you leave our central city wharf.
- Connect with the abundance of rare marine mammals, birds and stunning island scenery.
- Learn from the marine researchers onboard working to protect the whales, dolphins and their fragile home.
As an Ecotourism company, we strive to provide an environmentally responsible travel experience where all our customers can enjoy and appreciate nature with minimal impact on the environment. Our focus is to;
- minimise negative social, economic and environmental impacts
- make positive contributions to the conservation of our natural and cultural heritage.
- provide more enjoyable experiences for tourists through more meaningful connections with marine mammals, the Hauraki Gulf Marine Park and sharing what we do to help with environmental issues.
Our environmental practices include (but are not limited to);
- The development and implementation of an Environmental Policy, combined with an Environmental & Sustainability Operations Plan. Embedded into daily operations via our Maritime Transport Operator Plan (MTOP).
- The appointment of a ‘Research & Conservation Officer’ who spends 20hrs/week dedicated to the monitoring, reporting and development of a continuous improvement plan.
- Joining the Sustainable Business Network in October 2016.
- Revised Procurement guidelines for the Company towards more sustainably focused suppliers/providers.
- Use of the ACE Carbon Footprint Calculator to internally audit our carbon emissions.
- The following best practices are in place.
- We installed the lowest emission diesel engines we could get for our purposes.
- Engines are never started until immediately before trip departure.
- At every stop to view mammals of conduct research, engines are shut down.
- Using fuel additive ‘Fuel 360’ from Lower Emissions Ltd giving a more consistent fuel burn, better economy and lower emissions.
- Utilise the latest silicon antifungal technology, ensuring less fuel burn through drag elimination (between 5.5% - 12%). The antifungal is non-ablative and lasts 5-8 years.
Our Environmental Policy can be accessed here.
We actively drive our conservation commitments by working closely with the NZ Department of Conservation (DoC), Universities and local Conservation Organisations. We contribute significant funds and in-kind support towards a variety of projects that support marine mammals, the marine environment and habitats, recovering species and clean up initiatives which are on our Conservation page.
The management and staff of Auckland Whale and Dolphin Safari share the responsibility for product quality. The Quality System is designed to ensure that all processes and procedures meet established requirements that allow us to manage the business and provide the best possible customer experience. Our Quality system covers (but is not limited to);
- Crew and Operating Policies.
- Booking and Reservation quality and control.
- Customer Satisfaction and Feedback.
- Workplace Health and Safety Policies.
- Ship Operating Policies.
- Ship Maintenance logs.
- NZ Qualmark Certification.